Can I claim my child on my taxes?

As a general rule, a parent is entitled to claim his or her child as dependent for federal income tax purposes if more than half of the child’s support comes from the parent. IRC § 152(e)(1). This can be changed by agreement between the parents. IRC § 152(e)(2). The other parent must execute IRS Form 8332, “Release of Claim to Exemption for Child of Divorced or Separated Parents,” or a similar statement. This release may be for one specific year or a number of specified years. Federal law also provides a federal income tax credit for dependent children. IRC § 24.

The court may order the parent receiving child support to execute a waiver of the dependency exemption if the other parent is current in support payments. See Florida Statute §61.30(11)(a)(8). The right to claim this exemption is contingent upon the payor being current in child support obligations. See Abramovic v. Abramovic, 188 So.3d 61 (Fla. 4th DCA 2016) The court may also consider the impact of the dependency exemption in adjusting child support awarded under the guidelines. See Florida Statute §61.30(11)(a)(8).


If you have questions about child support or whether you can claim your minor child as a dependent, it’s best to ask a qualified family law attorney. Schedule a consultation with one of our attorneys today to review the issues of your position, the legal options you may have, and certain rights that pertain to your unique situation.

Template for No Attorney-Client Relationship or Legal Advice:

Have more questions? Let us know by sending an email to: and we will do our best to develop content to provide you with direction and insight!

For more information: 
Check out and subscribe to our YouTube Channel
Follow us on Instagram
Like us on Facebook
Visit our website 
Shop our Legal Templates 

No Attorney-Client Relationship or Legal Advice: Communication of information by, in, to or through this Website and your receipt or use of it: (1) is not provided in the course of and does not create or constitute an attorney-client relationship; (2) is not intended as a solicitation; (3) is not intended to convey or constitute legal advice; and (4) is not a substitute for obtaining legal advice from a qualified attorney. You should not act upon any such information without first seeking qualified professional counsel on you specific matter. The hiring of an attorney is an important decision that should not be based solely upon Web site communications or advertisements. Feel free to contact us if you need legal assistance.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: